SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 14
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. – 1 John 1:5-7 (NIV)
If you want to truly walk in the purpose that God has for you, you have to abandon the darkness and the things that keep you away from Him. Whether it’s fear or doubt or insecurity that drives you to that dark place, make the decision to walk in the light. Even if it means:
1. You no longer hang out with the people who are a bad influence on you
2. Making a decision to look at the kind of music you listen to or TV shows you watch that cause you to have unrealistic or unholy expectations when it comes to love and romance
3. Letting go of an unintentional dating situation that isn’t leading anywhere
4. Giving up those bad habits that you know aren’t good for your heart and your relationship with Jesus
5. Eliminating distractions that keep you from spending time with the Lord
If you desire to walk in the purpose that God has for you, it is important to walk away from the things that keep you away from Him. Sometimes when we make the choice to walk in His light instead of walking in the darkness of this world, it might seem like we’re missing out. However, it is important to know that the affections of this world are temporary no matter how good they look and no matter how good they make us feel. What God provides through Jesus is forever. So let go of those things that keep you from Him. There is a far better life ahead of you when you make that choice!
Biblical Context + Further Reading: 1 John 1:5-10
DAILY CHALLENGE: Write down the part of today’s passage that resonates with you the most. part of today’s passage that resonates with you the most.